Sunday, March 13, 2011

Best Pancake EVER! Dutch Baby Pancake

Tonight I introduced my b/f to the best pancake ever. Totally homemade, (low carb but don't tell him), and really easy to bake. And I'll truth be known I fail at baking.

You will need the following:

Circular pyrex or oven safe pan
3 eggs
3/4 cup white or wheat flour
3/4 cup skim or 2% milk
2 tsp sugar
powdered sugar
lemon/lime juice

First you will preheat your oven to 425
Scramble the three eggs in a small mixing bowl, and slowly add the flour until smooth.
Stick your circular oven safe pan into the oven with two tablespoons of butter or Smart Balance
Add the milk slowly until fully mixed. It should be a little on the runny side. Don't worry!
Add the 2 tsp of sugar and give it a final stir.
Once the butter is melted in the pan, pour the batter right on top and bake for about 20 minutes.


This will be the fluffiest, tastiest pancake in the world. It's got a lot of egg in it so it'll be like an omelet pancake so to speak. It's low in carbs and high in protein.
Sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top, and squeeze lemon juice on top of that, and you are done.
Simple!
Tasty!
You can be creative and add fruit on top with a little marscapone or creme fresche.
I like to add fiber induced fruits like strawberries or blueberries.
Keep it simple. The less syrup or sugar the better for you.
Splenda brown sugar can be used instead of powdered sugar, agave nectar or honey.

This recipe is supposed to either serve 4 for a dessert (cut into quarters and top with fruit) or 2 people. I admit it. I can easily eat this by myself and I did for the most part tonight, with some turkey sausage on the side.

Try to use fresh ingredients when you can. Frozen fruits usually have sugar or syrup added into them. Fresh produce is ALWAYS cheaper!

I love doing the above and making an egg and sausage/turkey bacon in it like a bowl.
Another recipe where you can be creative! AND FYI. Kids love this and don't know it's good for them. :)

2 comments:

  1. Made this tonight! Very very tasty! Easy peasy to make. I had egg scramblers and I added a bit of vanilla and cinnamon. I especially liked that I only used one measuring cup! 3/4 was what I needed for the eggs, too. It's all about doing dishes for me! I added some berries and it was very filling! I ate half tonight and will probably have the rest for breakfast tomorrow. It went down nicely with my vodka and cranberry juice. NOM NOM NOM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete