- 2 cans condensed Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup (see below for alternative soups)
- 1 cup skim milk (I use 2% or regular)
- 2 cup peas (see below for alternative vegetables)
- 2 cans (6oz) Solid White Albacore Tuna, drained
- 4 Cups Cooked Whole Wheat Pasta
- 2 tbsp dry bread crumbs (i use the seasoned italian ones or i mix in a small bowl 2 tbsp of bread crumbs, a pinch of paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, and cumin)
- 1 tbsp Smart Balance Buttery Spread (or one tbsp of regular butter if you aren't watching your figure)
Mix ingredients (except bread crumbs and Smart Balance) and put into 3 quart casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Take out and top with bread crumbs and melted Smart Balance. Bake for another 5 minutes. Makes 8 servings. (I included the serving size because this is something you can make for a big family, and on a tight budget!)
You can also substitute bread crumbs for low fat Mozerella.
I've also been known to change the soup around to the 98% fat free Cream of Chicken, Broccoli, Celery or one of two different kinds.
I've substituted tuna for canned salmon, (or fresh for you fellow Alaskans), flaked halibut or lump crab.
This is just the basic style recipe and it's low fat and if you use the whole wheat pasta it's better for you than the regular flour.
I add other veggies in mine though.
Peas, carrots and corn are high in sugar (if you are diabetic), so I use chopped squash that's been cooked, spinach, greens, onions, sweet potato's, swiss chard, chopped steamed cabbage, or tomato's.
Just make sure any raw hard veggies are steamed first before making it or you will have pretty crunchy, almost raw vegetables in your casserole.