Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My favorite Dessert! Low Sugar and Definately Low to No Carb Apple Crisp

This has to be my favorite dessert to make, especially in the winter. I created this on my own. I LOVE apple crisp but with all the sugar and struessel people make theirs with, I found myself getting the sweats from high blood sugar.
This is not a glamorous dessert by any means but it's simple to make, and really warms you up in the winter time.
You can use any apple variety you want, but I find my favorite is a Fuji apple. It cooks nicely but remains firm and slightly crunchy after it's baked. If you prefer a softer apple, I'd advise a Golden Delicious or Ginger Gold.
I like a slight crunch in my apple so I use Fuji, Honeycrisp, or Gala. If you like a sourness to your apple definitely Granny Smith.
Here's a chart to give you an idea of taste and type of apple:

You will want to wash your apples. I usually make one apple per person, but if you want to split an apple between two people and have a cup of low fat frozen yogurt or ice cream more power to you!
If you own an apple corer, just core the apple and cut it in half. I never seem to have one so I cut the apple in half and cut out the core, adding a little extra so that I can fill the apple a bit better. Make sure you remove the  flower end (that little brownish/greenish flowery looking item). You can leave the stem on if you want or remove it.

Preheat your oven to 425 and grab a cookie sheet. Put a piece of aluminum foil down.
Set the apples skin side down, so the open spooned out part is facing up. Add a little bit of lemon juice and cinnamon so the apple doesn't brown.

Now for the low to no carb part of the dessert. I love apple crisp with oatmeal topping. There is an easy way of making this happen. Try to find these oatmeals:
or 


All you are going to do is grab a packet, and pour some into the apple halves in the hole you've made in the center. I try to use half a packet for each half. If you'd like to be adventurous, empty a packet into a bowl, and add some chopped nuts, raisins, or dried fruit and spoon it into the apple.
If you are wanting to cut some fat from this recipe, do what I do and use:
I love the taste, and it's got Omega 3's in it which is really great for diabetics. 
If you don't care about fat content, just add a pat of butter on top of the oatmeal mixture.
To add a bit of sweet without guilt, I use:

You just want to sprinkle a little on top to help caramelize it a bit. You can also sprinkle it on the apple around the oatmeal. It depends on ability to have Splenda without getting high blood sugar. Unfortunately I'm one of the types that gets high blood sugar from Splenda as if it were just regular sugar so I tend to be a little frugal using it.
If you don't want to use Splenda and can afford it, drizzle a little Agave or a dark honey on top.


You are ready to bake this yummy dessert!
Just put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. Check the apple with a knife and if it gives way easily in and out, it's ready. If you want it really well done and soft put it in until the apple skin buckles/wrinkles a bit.
Your apples should look like this:



I hope you try this, and let me know how you like it. I know my mother and I used to make them all the time back when I lived in Alaska. This was one of our favorites. I like it plain as is, but you can add some frozen yogurt or low sugar ice cream just like it was an apple crisp.
I  like this recipe because you aren't obligated to eat a whole tray of apple crisp. They are individually made and can be made with different kinds of apples so you can try all kinds of ways of eating it.
Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! This is one of my favorite desserts! Thanks for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man.... this looks AMAZING!!! I hope I have the time/inclination to make this someday. Thanks hon!!

    ReplyDelete